Ski Mountaineering Equipment List
This list differs slightly from our standard ski touring equipment list in that it adds some slightly tougher gear, and warmer layers.
Clothing – for both heat and sun protection as well as colder early morning starts...
Clothing will need to vary according to the time of year. Below is a suggestion for milder spring touring. In general you will want to avoid bulky downhill skiing jackets, mountaineering style layering is much more flexible and generally lighter
- Long sleeved thin thermal top
- Micro/mid weight fleece
- Soft shell jacket / Goretex
- Medium weight down jacket - Arcteryx Thorium for example
- Soft shell trousers to fit ski boots
- Lightweight Goretex over trousers, for bad weather and warmth.
Head, Hands and Feet
- Buff – sun hat – warm hat (All three are fairly essential).
- Thin uphill gloves
- Warm downhill gloves (mitts?)
- Cat 3-4 sunglasses
- Goggles (essential)
- Sun tan cream and lip balm A high factor 50 is best.
- Helmet. (An optional item, but highly recommended, ideally one rated for skiing, as well as mountaineering)