Skills and techniques covered during the Alpine skills course
- Crevasse rescue and snow anchors
- Roping up for glacial travel
- Rock climbing techniques
- Belaying and basic anchor safety
- Crampon and ice axe techniques
- Using mountain huts
- Route planning and guidebooks
There is obviously a lot to learn, and you will need to practice some of these skills a lot before they become second nature. Most of our open trips are timed so you could combine this skills trip with another three day trip afterwards such as the Grand Paradiso.
2017 Alpine skills training trip dates
These are our open trip dates, please contact us to book a private course.
Scheduled trips now fully booked for 2017. Contact us for a private trip.
Maximum ratio of four climbers to one guide. Our trips are run on a guiding only basis, you will need to cover expenses as the trip progresses for you and your guide.
Our price includes:
- All guiding fees for your IFMGA Mountain Guide
- Hut reservations
- Transport whilst on the course, including travel to the Grand Paradiso national park
Expenses to consider:
- Accommodation in Chamonix (we can recommend places to stay)
- Airport transfer from Geneva
- Mountain rescue insurance (BMC or SnowCard recommended)
- A night in the mountain refuge typically costs 65€ per person (half board) and the guides fee (discounted) is split between the group members.
- It’s also worth having some cash on you for drinks and snacks the huts.